What is Filebase and How do You Use It?
What is Filebase?
Filebase is the ultimate asset plugin for Unity created by GameDevHQ. With thousands of ready-to-use assets one click away, this is an essential game developer tool made for professionals by professionals! This powerful yet easy-to-navigate plugin is priced at just $49 a year($5 per month), making it a very affordable option for indie developers.
- Countless high-quality assets optimized for real-time gameplay
- Create beautifully elaborate game environments without having to spend countless hours on 3D Modelling Software or spending countless dollars on artists
- Get your indie game to top quality graphics fast and easy
- There is NO limit to the number of downloads per day
- Filebase includes optional learning challenges to help you grow as a developer
In order to become a Filebase user, you need to have subscribed to its services on the following page:
Subscribing is simple!
- Go to the Filebase page and click Sign Up.
2. This will prompt you to enter your information and select the membership you desire.
Note: I recommend the yearly membership as it will save you 20% of the yearly cost.
3. Once you complete the membership process you should be able to download the Filebase Plugin. If you’re not automatically redirected, you can check here and get the desired version of the plugin.
How to Install
- Drag and drop(or double-click) the Filebase plugin to your Unity Projects Area and Import the package.
2. Filebase should appear at the top menus, simply click open and let it load.
3. Make sure you’re logged in to use Filebase. Use the same credentials used previously for your membership.
Your First Download → How to Navigate in Filebase
Now that you’ve got Filebase all set up, let’s take a look at how to navigate it and perform your first asset download.
- Navigation is simple. Let’s say you want to build a sci-fi-themed level. Simply type in “Sci-fi” into the search bar, and you should see some assets pop up.
2. For this example, I will select Sci-Fi floors.
3. Once your asset is finished downloading, Import all of the assets.
4. You can easily locate your newly added asset package by using Filebase’ locate feature.
5. Now, you can search for FBXs and other files within your folder.
Note: An FBX is a file format for exchanging 3D geometry and animation data. file. High-fidelity 2D and 3D files can be opened, edited, and exported using a variety of tools. Film, video game, and augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) development all employ FBX files.
With this, you’re all set up and ready to go! I will be writing more articles on Level Design techniques using Filebase, give me a follow if you’re interested to learn more!